"To Dance Beneath the Diamond Sky with One Hand Waving Free, Silhouetted by the Sea..."

Monday, September 29, 2008

Some Cool Books By Taschen

I've always loved cultural studies, folklore, and history. And I've always been fascinated by artifacts of different eras. Of course, I love the sixties, but I love lots of different decades, centuries, and historical periods.

Some people like reading historical fiction--like the Philippa Gregory books based on the life of Elizabeth I and her court, with intriguing titles such as The Other Boleyn Girl and The Virgin's Lover. These are compelling novels but, as always happens when I read fiction, as soon as there is a lull in the action, my mind wanders and part of me says "This is not real. Somebody sat at a computer and made this up." I am embarrassed to articulate that, but there you go. I so wish I could get into that type of writing--and I do love well-crafted fiction--but sometimes I much prefer to cut to the chase: I like the real thing. I mean, I am somebody who actually enjoys reading the dictionary; I don't just love words, I love etymology and I can get lost in a dictionary for hours.

In terms of pop culture and zeitgeists of different eras, I've always loved written "time capsules"--things like Sears catalogues from various eras, decorating books, fashion guides, etc., and I have quite a few original books from different decades. I enjoy the "as-it-happened" feeling I get from books written or compiled during a particular time, or collections and compilations of actual artifacts, as opposed to a person's musings or recollections. For that, I read memoir and biography.

Taschen has a wonderful series called All American Ads and each phone book-sized volume features a different decade. They are heavy, hard to hold paperbacks--behemoths--but they are completely engrossing. I bought a few of them when they first were published (and, of course, they were later released in abriged versions) and I just don't get tired of them. I have every decade from the twenties through the seventies.


Check them out if you get a chance. They contain original newspaper and print ads for everything from soap and lingerie to cars and furniture.

No comments: